NEGAUNEE - At its meeting Monday, the Negaunee school board approved several bids and other business items.
- Work will be done on the roofs at Negaunee High School and the Miners Dry by Bell Roofing for $177,000, with money coming from the district's sinking fund.
- A new message board sign will be installed at Lakeview Elementary School by Signs Now, which was the low bidder at $21,368.
- Driver education fees will remain the same: $325 for part one and $50 for part two.
- Athletic fees will remain the same for the 2013-14 school year as this past year. The fees are $100 per sport at Negaunee High School; $50 for Negaunee Middle School football and cross country; and $60 for NMS basketball and track and field.
A family cap for the year is $400.
- Athletic pass fees also stay the same at $175 for a family pass; $150 for an adult couple; $95 for a single adult; $70 for a student; and free for senior citizens. Sporting event admission prices for NHS will remain at $5 for adults and $3 for students.
- For $20,140, Integrated Designs Inc. will to engineering estimates for a potential project to move the school district's tennis courts to an area near the pool at Negaunee High School. The project would have the courts ready for use in the fall of 2014 if approved by the board after the study is presented.
- Spiffy Cleaning of Negaunee Township won the bid to provide afternoon-shift custodial services and summer cleaning at the Negaunee Middle School for $24,741.25 for the coming school year.
- Elissa Beacco and Lauren Veale were hired as full-time teachers at Lakeview Elementary School, while Nathan Fisher moved from part time to full time. Bryan Solander was hired as a part-time technology teacher at the school.
Negaunee Superintendent Jim Derocher reported 67 candidates had applied for the two open teaching positions.
"We get to pick from the best of the best. I am proud to have these people join us," Derocher said.
Renee Prusi can be contacted at 906-228-2500, ext. 253.