Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Affiliated Sites | Home RSS

Family escapes as fire consumes home

November 5, 2012
By JOHN PEPIN - Journal Staff Writer ( , The Mining Journal

MANISTIQUE - A Manistique family escaped a fire at their home early Sunday without injury, despite the home being rendered a total loss.

Manistique Public Safety and Volunteer Fire officers were called to 195 N. Maple St. at 5:10 a.m. Sunday on a report of a structure fire at that residence in the city of Manistique.

Officers found the first floor of the two-story wood home fully involved in fire when they arrived. The home was occupied by Christian and Stacy Young and their three children: McKenzie, Cadence and Hunter Richmond, all of whom had escaped the building.

Police said two of the family's dogs also escaped, but a Yorkshire terrier died in the fire.

Firefighters knocked down most of the flames quickly, but remained on the scene for several hours putting out hot spots burning in the ceiling and floor. Fire officials said the home and contents were considered a total loss because of extensive heat and smoke damage.

The Schoolcraft County Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Officers said the fire began in a downstairs bedroom when a space heater was knocked over, igniting clothing and bedding. The family tried to put out the fire, but was unable to do so, as the flames spread quickly. They then exited the home and called 911 dispatchers.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 8 a.m. Sunday.

John Pepin can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 206.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web