Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Affiliated Sites | Home RSS

Red Bulls 01 defend Cherry Capitol Cup title

May 23, 2012
By Journal Sports Staff ( , The Mining Journal

MARQUETTE - The FC Marquette Red Bulls 01 travel soccer team defended its Cherry Capitol Cup title in Traverse City on Sunday. Despite playing up one year in the U12 division, the Red Bulls won the title the exact same way they took the U10 title last year, in a shootout.

It all got started on Saturday in game one when the Red Bulls defeated the Gaylord Force, 2-1. After falling behind 1-0 at the half, Trevor Salmon got things started with a penalty kick midway through the second half. Salmon scored again a few minutes later with an assist from Nicolaas Vermaat which sealed the victory. Soren Higgins had a second half shutout in net while Vermaat took the first half net duties. Hunter Sides was the offensive player of the game while Ryan Baldwin was the defensive player. Drew Wyble was the game's MVP.

In game two, the Red Bulls won 4-1 over the TBAYS - USA (Traverse City). Salmon again started a flurry of goals from the Red Bulls with an assist from Wyble one minute into the game. Just a minute later Brendan McCoy notched back-to-back goals just a minute apart. McCoy's first goal was assisted by Sides and the second by Baldwin. Sides then found the back of the net late in the half on an unassisted goal to give the Red Bulls a 4-0 half time lead. Theo Kumpula had the first half shutout in net while Vermaat preserved the victory in net the second half. Evan Phillips was the defensive player of the game.

Article Photos

The FC Marquette Red Bulls 01 travel soccer team defended its Cherry Capitol Cup title in Traverse City on Sunday, winning the championship game in a shootout. Pictured, from left, are Brendan McCoy, Ryan Baldwin, Trevor Salmon, Drew Wyble, Ivan Bannan, Theo Kumpula, Nicolaas Vermaat, Matthew Janowski, Soren Higgins, Evan Phillips, Hunter Sides, Shane McEachern, Willie Noble and coach Dan Salmon. (Submitted)

In game three, the Red Bulls battled TBAYS - Canada to a 3-2 win. Wyble found the net first on a long ball from just inside the midfield line which was unassisted. Kumpula then made it 2-0 with a goal assisted by Wyble. The first half shutout in net belonged to Salmon. In the second half, TBAYS got two quick goals before McCoy found the net with less than two minutes to go on a deflected corner kick from from Vermaat. Higgins tended the net in the second half.

In the championship game, the No. 1 Red Bulls defeated No. 2 Leland M-22's in a shootout. Leland came out strong and peppered the Red Bulls keeper Higgins with 16 shots in the first half and Higgins stopped them all. In the second half, Leland got on the scoreboard first sneaking one in past Vermaat who faced another 14 shots. Salmon then started the comeback with a sniper-like shot off a free kick from just outside the 18 yard mark, bouncing it off the underside of the crossbar. After a 1-1 regulation time finish and two overtimes, the game went to a shootout. Leland scored first with the second shooter, but the Red Bulls Wyble, Phillips, and McCoy all scored from the 2-3-4 positions and Vermaat secured the victory with a save on Leland's final shooter.

The Red Bulls finished the tournament with a 4-0 mark and now are at 10-2-3 for the year. The Red Bulls are coached by Dan Salmon and Ricky Graves with Steve McCoy assisting during the championship game. The Red Bulls are now idle until June 23 when they travel to Stevens Point, Wis.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web